Thursday, July 10, 2014

Leg Day

I had my first full training with Alex. Today we planned to work out my legs. He warned me that I wouldn’t be able to walk for the next 3 days. Oh boy, do my legs feel like jello already. The work out involved high sets and high reps. We focused on holding a contraction for 3 seconds and we worked on my eccentric strength. It really pushed my muscles to failure.
I started with 5 sets on the leg press machine. I did 12,10, and then 8 reps for the first 3 sets while increasing the weight each time. The last 2 sets were 12 and then 15 reps with a lighter rep to really tire my muscles. My legs were shaking so much on those last two sets. With each rep, I had to focus on pushing out through my heals and then slowly lowering it for 4 seconds. My legs felt like jello after doing this exercise.
I repeated the same pattern as above for the next exercise. I had to do Romanian dead lifts using a trap bar, to really isolate my hamstrings. This exercise wasn’t as tough as the leg press. I had good form but I think I’ll have to increase the weight next time.
The next exercises involved a super set of leg extension and hamstring curl. I did 3 sets of 12 reps for each exercise. For each rep, I had to squeeze at the top for 3 seconds. I really felt the burn in my last few reps. I fought through it and completed it all.
My last superset involved the abductor and adductor machine. I did the same sets and reps as above. Again, I really had to contract my muscles at the end of each movement. With each exercise, I could really feel my muscles working. It was a different style of training then what I had done before. It was cool to really focus on building my muscles.
Now let’s hope I can walk for the next couple of days…

No comments:

Post a Comment